- General information
- About the office of the Agricultural Counsellor
- The Netherlands and the environment
- Avian influenza
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
1.1 Staff members
Ton Verhagen (Counsellor)
Irina Dudiak (Assistant to the Agricultural Counsellor) Kateryna Tushynska (Assistant to the Agricultural Counsellor)
1.2 Contact details
Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands Kiev
Office of the Counsellor for Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality
Kontraktova Ploshcha 7
01901 Kiev, Ukraine
Tel: +380 44 490 82 23
Fax: +380 44 490 82 66
2. About the office of the Agricultural Counsellor
The Office of the Counsellor for Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality of the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands represents the Netherlands Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality. The Office also functions as a liaison between Dutch agriculture, food and agribusiness, fisheries, and other organisations working in the fields of nature management and conservation and their counterparts in Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. It also stimulates co-operation between agricultural educational and research institutions.
The main goals of the Office of the Counsellor for Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality are:
- The promotion of Dutch agribusiness and services to Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. For more information on business programmes, click here.
- Mediation in finding trading partners for imports from The Netherlands;
- To survey the market concerning the agricultural, agro-political development of products, countries and regions (for overview of publications, click here);
- To provide information services to every sector in the fields of agriculture, nature and food quality;
- To provide information on veterinary and phyto-sanitary certification;
- To assist and financially support projects in the field of Nature Conservation. (for more information about MATRA/KNIP, click here).
Additional information on agriculture in the Netherlands can be obtained, in English, on The Netherlands Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality website.
3. The Netherlands and the environment
For the Netherlands, being a small country, with a dense population in a delta area, the environment is of outmost importance. It therefore plays a mayor role in Dutch politics and policy-making. Whereas environmental problems are not restrained by State borders, their solutions have to be sought in international agreements, and the implementation thereof. It is therefore the reason that the environment is also a part of The Netherlands’ foreign policy. In every Embassy of the Netherlands, you can find an Officer in Charge of the Environment. His tasks are to:
- provide information on The Netherlands’ environmental, water and nature policies,
- to inform The Netherlands’ government on environmental issues in the State of Posting, and,
- to encourage international co-operation in the fields of the environment, and, water and nature.
For more information on the environment, you can contact the Economic section of the Netherlands Embassy in Kiev.
Ministries in the Netherlands whose work relates to the environment
Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment
Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management
Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality
Ministry of Economic Affairs
4. Avian influenza
Information about bird flu (avian influenza) in Ukraine:
www.mns.gov.ua/daily/showdailyarchive.php (in Ukrainian only)
+38044 279 4948
General information about bird flu , including travel advice, on the following websites:
World Health Organisation: www.who.int
Ministry of Public Health, Welfare and Sport
Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality: www.minlnv.nl
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (travel advice): www.minbuza.nl
State Institute for Public Health and Environment: www.rivm.nl
Food and Non-Food Authority: www.vwa.nl
The WHO has no reason at this moment to advice not to travel to Ukraine. For actual information about countries with bird flu please see www.who.int